The Barney Circle and Southeast Boulevard Transportation Planning Study will investigate:
- Transforming a portion of the Southeast Freeway into a boulevard that is integrated with adjacent neighborhoods between the new 11th Street Bridge and Barney Circle and the Anacostia River Waterfront,
- Reconstructing Barney Circle to accommodate vehicle turning movements,
- Improving pedestrian and bicyclist connectivity to the Anacostia River Waterfront, and
- Evaluating design options that consider multi-modal transportation uses.
Why is DDOT conducting this transportation planning study?
- As currently configured, Barney Circle prevents several turning movements to and from neighborhood side streets.
- Southeast Freeway between 11th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue has been removed from the interstate system providing an opportunity to reinvest in the right of way to meet the Anacostia Waterfront Initiative (AWI) Transportation Planning Principles.
Download Project Fact Sheet PDF
Public Meeting Materials
|Public Meeting #1 – Public Scoping
||February 21, 2013
|Public Meeting #2 – Alternatives Review